I generally subscribe to the notion that there are no real rules when designing, but there are a few secrets that can really make your rooms look their best. I thought it might be fun to share them with my Notebook readers.
1. Always hang drapery as high as possible in order to make ceilings appear taller.
2. Paint small spaces a dark color---dark colors make the corners of a room recede, and actually make the space look larger.
3. Every room needs a touch of black, just as it needs at least one good antique. Both give a room character.
4. Nothing adds more to any space or any room in the house than books. When clients ask me what to put in their bookshelves, I always say BOOKS!
5. Stay with soothing colors in bedrooms---I would never paint a bedroom red or any shade of red---it is too active and doesn’t create a relaxing atmosphere.
6. Every room should have adequate eye level lighting----overhead lighting is used to age actors and should only be used for fill or highlighting art or objects. However it should always be used in conjunction with lamps, sconces and chandeliers. Remember these words----EYE LEVEL LIGHTING!
7. Never ever install recessed/overhead lights that will shine on someone’s head!
8. Select colors that are flattering to you---I always say, "Make sure you look goodand feel greatin your own rooms---otherwise, why bother?"